Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Inspiration My Idol - Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar

Dilse would not complete if I don’t blog about What is Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar for me. I am not going to write about Sachin’s game or his records, you can anytime anywhere will get to read about it but just why is he Idol for me.
I was thinking of writing this since I started blogging but somehow it wasn’t coming Dilse. Yesterday he achieved one more title of highest run getter in test matches and I thought this could be the right occasion to salute the Wonder Boy.
Well I was never cricket lover till I had not seen little master batting. Sachin had debut in international cricket when he was just 16. I was just aware of this fact but not actually watched him playing. One of my friends in school was crazy for this wonder boy and I got curious to see his game. The first series I watched in 1991 sharjah series which we lost against Pakis and Sanjay Manjrekar was declared man of the series. And here onwards one more person got added to Indian cricket lovers.
After Sharjah, Indian team went on a tour to Australia followed by 1992 world cup. And Tendlya was at his best in these tournaments. News papers were flooded with the articles praising master blaster saying Sachin should bat on number 1 to 10. He was just 18 then. India lost both the series and the world cup but I had fallen in love with cricket and Sachchu:). I still remember, my 10th board exam was on and instead of last minute preparations I used to watch every ball of delivered till I leave home for my exam.
Here onwards I started reading every bit of Indian cricket, Sachin, Sanjay Manjrekar, Kapil Dev, Vinod Kambli. I started reading magazines like sports star, sports world, marathi magazine by Sandeep Patil – Shatkar..what not. I also read one Hindi magazine don’t remember the name now but I had bought it since it has some article on Sachin, I guess that’s the only one which I read in Hindi:).
His Dedication, Determination, Hardwork inspired me to be more serious, little ambitious in my studies. I had pasted Sachin’s poster in front of my seat near my study table. He was motivation for me, if Sachin can do at 16 why cant I. I just wanted (rather still would love) to be 0.01% like him.
The unique thing about him is even after being so successful, famous, rich at such a early age he is so humble so down to earth. He doesn’t get into controversies. There is no man who talks ill about him. He is God’s son to be loved by everyone. He is God to many. He is man with strong values. He exercises his vote whenever he is in country during elections. Please someone let me know one incident when he misbehaved, over reacted. He still enjoys cricket, he is still as sincere on ground as he used to be. What else one can expect from a man. For me he is the best example of great human and Indian citizen.
The wildest dream I have in my life is Sachin would know me personally:)
Hats off to this Son of India.

Here are few pics of him from my collection

13 comments:

PrashantBatra said...

I salute your passion :) i sadly dont share it but i am sure there are millions who would give u company :)
cheers to sachin and to the game he has made famous ... atleast for those like you who he converted into cricket lovers ;)

Bhagyashree Shinde said...

hiiii... I am glad tou wrote about your Idol. The only thing I did not know was that you want him know you personally. Ambitious. I like that. It was fun too see the collection again.

Anonymous said...

Dilse won't complete..What does that mean ... Are you not blogging from this point on :) Just kidding...

Well,just like you, I am also a great fan Sachin especially his straight drives...I learnt good batting from him :)

Can't comment on him as a person since,it is their duty to behave well in front of the media else makes them huge losses !!!

The best part about Sachin is unlike Kambli[who IMHO was much better than Sachin at that time] could digest the success and that is what has made him successful...No one now talks about Kambli :) And yes, as you have pointed out "He is always HUNGRY for more!!!"

To end with, though I love Sachin; I admire Ganguly more since,he is really a TRUE FIGHTER and he has proved that with no support from fellow team-members.And yes,when Sachin retires many people in India would not be able to digest cricket without him :)

Kudos to him and long live[and score more....] the great MASTER !!!

-Himanshu Sheth

Varada said...

Hi Himanshu,

Thanks for your comment.. and I do agree with you for whatever you wrote aboout Vinod Kambli and Saurav Ganguly

Anonymous said...

Hey Lorel, nice blog. You are still crazy after him like a teenager ;-)

Varada said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Varada said...

Hey Deepika,

To be very frank I dont follow cricket as I used to be neither I am crazy for Sach as I used to be but definitely he is integral part of my teenage life and my life has loads of impact of him.

It was nice to have your comment on my blog, thanks.

Varada said...

One More Feather in his cap.... first batsman to score 200 in ODI. I have no words to express how I feel....would just say...jio sachin jio

Kunal Rane said...

Di...do u remember....we had Sachin's landline number back then....and we tried calling him ...I think this was just after the Hero Cup final...when he bowled that wonderful over against South Africa for us to win the Cup...Man i still cant believe I spoke with Sachin..."Hello Sachin, I am Kunal, I am big fan of yours. I want to congratulate you on bowling that excellent over against south Africa. Sachin, I want to meet you. Where can I meet you" Sachin says" Kunal, I have got guests at my place, can you please call me after half hour"...I did and the phone was never ever reachable..By the way I was all of 11 then...

Varada said...

Hey I do remember that.... but it was not when after hero cup.. its much before that... he had asked you to come and meet him MIG ground at Bandra.. Also varun had called him up one day and asked how to practice cricket and he had told him to hang ball in socks and tie in the middle of the room and hit it with bat

Kunal Rane said...

Well I dont know when Varun called...But mine was around a month after the Hero Cup..We beat South Africa by 2 runs on 24th Nov 1993 all due to Sachin's bowling...and then beat Windies in the final by 102 runs on 27 Nov...I think we called Sachin sometime around Xmas..Anyways it was great fun...I also remember me calling up Salil Ankola...and his grandmother picked up the phone and hearing my squeaky voice back then...She thought I was one of Salil's girlfriend.

Varada said...

heyyy I do remember you calling up Salil Ankola

Mehul said...

Time Magazine on Sachin – “When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam.

When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to "open" the Nehruvian economy".